Turkey day is upon on us. All across the nation turkeys are brining and pies are baking. But what do after all the food as been ingested. Watch football? Black Friday shop? Well if neither of those things are for you, then I’ve got you covered with five series (plus three extra) you can stream on Netflix this weekend.
TV Series to Stream on Netflix
1. Jessica Jones – The brand new Netflix original based on a Marvel character. Jessica Jones is the ultimate bad ass. I’m only three episodes in, but I LOVE it!
2. Haven – Set in a small town in Maine where lots of weird things happen and two detectives, Audrey and Nathan, have to search to find the source of the problem and help fix it before something really bad happens. 5 stars
3. Continuum – This series starts in a dystopian future right before a group of prisoners are set to be executed for their crimes. A wrench is thrown into the Corporation’s plans (the corporation is the government in this future) when all of the criminals (and some of the good guys) transport themselves to the past in an effort to “fix” things. It is very twisty and has you rooting for both sides. At least that’s how it works for me. A solid 4.5 stars.
4. Lost Girl – A supernatural series about a fae girl who is a succubus. Along with her best friend, who is normal, and a contingent of other fae, Bo works to solve fae crimes and prevent the dark fae from taking over. 5 stars, but be warned. It is about a girl who has to have sex to stay alive. There are a lot of sexy scenes.
5. Vexed– A British series about two detectives who have a connection, but annoy one another, which results in a lot of laughs. The female lead in the first season is Lucy Punch, the wicked stepsister from Ella Enchanted. It took me a minute to get past that, but then I loved it. Definitely 4 stars, maybe even higher.
6. Dark Matter – I love this take on a science fiction show set in space. A crew of a ship wakes up with no memory of how they got there or even who they are. The rest of the series they have to figure who they are and why they have the baddest reputation in outer space. Very entertaining and the cliffhanger ending means you can’t wait for the next season.
7. Dare Devil – Another Netflix original based on a Marvel character. Matt Murdock is gritty, tough, and fighting for the underdog. All things I love in my superheroes. Oh, and did I mention? He’s blind. Kind of.
8. Zoo Based on a James Patterson novel, what would happen if the animals decided to fight back against the humans? This series explores that possibility. I would watch the others first, but I give it a solid three and half stars.
And as a bonus, here are five movies you may not have seen.
Movies to Stream on Netflix
1. The Harvest – Is about a little boy who is sick and new neighborhood girl who befriends him despite his mother’s wishes. It has a twist that you will probably figure out, but it is still good. 4 stars
2. Byzantium – A new twist on the vampire story. Parts are slow, parts are bloody, but I really liked this take on an old story. I also really likes Saoirse Ronan, who plays Elanor. 4 stars
3. Time Lapse – I almost didn’t watch this because I didn’t recognize any of the actors, but I’m glad I did it. Three friends live together and manage an apartment complex. When an older tenant is found dead, the three find a camera in his apartment that takes photos of the future. Intrigue ensues. 4 stars
4. Red Lights – I had seen this before, but I couldn’t remember everything that happened so I watched it again. It stars Sigourney Weaver and Cillian Murphy (Peaky Blinders) as investigators who debunk psychics and Robert De Niro as a psychic. It is really fantastic. 5 stars
5. The Babadook – I’m not sure why I watched this. Probably because it kept coming up as recommended and trending. It was okay. I found the kid to be annoying and the mother to be depressing, but maybe that was the point. I don’t know. It was okay. 3 stars
What are your favorite series to stream while eating leftover turkey?