I am a fan of the weird. Ghost stories have always been my favorite kind of stories to hear or read. And I LOVE to watch shows and movies that border on horror. No gore or slasher type movies, but anything that is just on the edge. I want to be a little bit scared. Or intrigued. I like the what, maybe, and if. I’m sure it comes as no surprise that they sci-fi and fantasy series to stream on Netflix are my favorites. And of those, here are 12 of the ones I love the most.
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Always and forever my very favorite show for so many reasons. I love the strong girl power theme, the funny bits, and of course, the supernatural element.
2. Fringe – I only started watching this series a week or so ago, and I’m almost finished with the entire thing. I love the John Noble character, Walter. He is amazing. But I knew that this series was for me when in the first season Olivia is accused of being “emotional” by one of her superiors and she responded with “you’re only saying that because I’m a woman.” YES!
3. Supernatural – Sam and Dean… LOVE them. I’m also beginning to see that I love a show that throws in a zingy one liner or mixes funny bits with the macabre. A a sucker for the clever.
4. American Horror Story – I resisted this series, probably because everyone loves it and talks it up so much, but also because it is just a little bit gory for my taste. BUT it is a really good show. I’ve watched three seasons and I’m anxiously awaiting the fourth. Jessica Lange is fantastic, and I love that they have given an older woman the role she plays in this show. Just watch it.
5. The X-Files – An oldie, but a goodie. David and I watched this series years and years ago when we were still just a young married couple. I was searching for something to watch and decided to “rewatch” it. To my surprise, I don’t remember hardly any of the episodes. It is almost like watching something I haven’t seen before. Still a very good series.
6. Hemlock Grove – This is a Netflix original. It is super weird, and sometimes a little sick if you think too much about the story line. It is also kind of confusing so you have to pay close attention to what is happening. But I still love it. Mostly because it is so weird and there is nothing else like it.
7. Being Human, UK Version – I love me some BBC shows, and never fear, those rumors you heard were false. Some of the less popular stuff will be leaving Netflix, but all of the good ones will still be there. And to celebrate you should watch Being Human if you haven’t already. It is a story about a ghost, vampire, and werewolf all living together, but it is really about so much more than that. I’ve heard the US version is not great, but this one is fantastic.
8. Doctor Who – You haven’t heard about how awesome Doctor Who is then you’ve been living under a rock. It really is that great. I thought it started a little slow, but give it one season and you’ll be in love.
9. Warehouse 13 – This is a series that was cancelled way too soon by it’s network, but I LOVE it, and I keep hoping that more episodes will be made available. It is about a team of people that chase down magical artifacts and store them in an enormous warehouse. There is also a theme that connects all of the episodes together, a greater purpose.
10. The 100 – I think this is a CW series that is still on. I started watching this about a month ago. There is only one season on Netflix right now, but I really like the show. It is about a group of teenagers that are sent to the Earth from a space station so many years after a nuclear war destroyed everything.
11. Merlin – This show is about Merlin’s early years, when he first met Arthur and before everyone knew that he was a great wizard. I like the different take on an old story. I was really sad when I finished this series.
12. Medium – I watched this show off and on when it aired on television. I liked it then and I still do. This is one where I watch a few episodes and then something else, but I always come back to it to see what Allison is up to.
What are your favorite sci-fi and fantasy series to stream on Netflix? I’m always looking for something new.