What’s better than a double crust apple pie topped with ice cream? Pretty much nothing. I used a recipe from my Southern Living Ultimate Cookbook.
Double Pie Crust
6 cups peeled, sliced cooking apples (my cookbook recommends Golden Delicious)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1. Roll out half of your pie crust and place in a pie plate sprayed with cooking spray. Set aside
2. Combine apples and lemon juice in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl mix together the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon over the apples and toss gently to coat all of the apples. Pour into the pie plate. Dot the top of the apples with butter.
3. Roll out the other half of the pie crust and place on top of the apples. Trim off the excess and press the edges to seal the pie. Cut about five slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
4. Combine the two teaspoons of sugar and the 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle on top. It’s optional, but really who doesn’t want this on top of their pie?
5. Bake in an oven preheated to 450 for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 and bake an additional 50 to 60 minutes. You may need to cover the edges of your pie crust with aluminum foil or a pie shield to prevent burning.
This pie smells AMAZING and tastes even better. Allow to cool some to avoid burning your tongue, but serve warm with ice cream.
These posts were not sponsored, but all pies were baked in my LG double wall oven, which I was provided as a member of the LG VIP Blogger Team.