I haven’t talked about my love for my iPhone in awhile so I thought it was time to do that again. Yes. I still love it as much as the first day I got it. I know I’ve talked about my favorite apps before, but new ones are being added all the time, and you know what they say, sharing is caring. So I’m going to share some of my favorite iPhone apps with you.
Of course there are the regulars like Instagram and Words with Friends. Everyone knows about those. These are six of my favorites that everyone may not know about or may not be using.
The first three all have to do with working with the hundreds of photos you take with your phone. Because “iphoneography” is totally a thing now apparently.
1. Frame Magic allows you to make really cool collages of your photos right on your phone. I can’t remember if it was free or if I had to pay for it, but if I paid it wasn’t much, and I think it is totally worth 99 cents or so.
2. A Beautiful Mess lets you add cute doodles and text in cool fonts to your photos. It made this photo possible.
Which is fun. I don’t remember if this was a paid one either, but it does have additional paid options you can download in the app or you can go with the basics. It is also updated fairly regularly, which is cool.
3. Layrs is a new app, and it IS free. I read about it on some tech website that tells you all of the things you really need (I don’t remember which one). It allows you to select a layer in your photograph to set at the foreground (see first image above). Then you can edit the background and foreground differently to highlight different parts of the image. This can make for some super cool photos or something silly like this:
The next three are all informative and are apps that I actually use a LOT.
4. I tried a lot of different weather apps when I first got my phone and finally settled on The Weather Channel app. I think it is the best. It is free. It is easy to use and read. It can be based on your geographic location or you can set favorites to check weather in different places. You can get current conditions, hourly, next 36 hours, or next 10 days. I’ve found it to be at least as accurate as any other weather outlet. Oh, and it also provides you with severe weather condition updates, which can be super helpful.
5. I just learned about the Google Earth app, which is also free. This is so super cool that you really must download it just to watch the cool animation as it zeros in on your location. If you like maps and checking out different places you will love this.
6. The Mapquest app eliminates the need for a paid GPS service in my opinion. It is free. It provides turn by turn directions, for driving or walking. It has only misled me one time, which is pretty great considering some of the GPS horror stories I’ve heard. It provides directions as a list or as a map. I love it and use it all the time.
Bonus: Other apps that I really like are the notes feature that came with my phone. I use it all the time to make shopping lists, jot down ideas, keep track of information for the kids’ school stuff, etc. It is so handy because it is always with me. For the same reason I like the reminder app that came with the phone. I can set up a simple reminder for this evening or a year from now with an alert. Then I can forget about whatever it is until the reminder goes off with a notification.
If you travel a lot, I recommend setting up an account with Uber and using their app. You link your debit or credit card to the app and everything, including tip, is billed through the service. Money never changes hands. You don’t have to worry about the driver not having change (yeah right) or stealing your credit card info (totally happens). Best car service experience I’ve ever had when I used them in Chicago. So, SO fast and very friendly. They aren’t everywhere yet, but I’m sure they will be before long. If you use that link to sign up you’ll get $10 off your first ride, and I think I’ll get some kind of credit.
What are your favorite iPhone apps?
Linking up with Mama Kat for Writer’s Workshop.