I love picnic food. BBQ, fried chicken, sweet tea, lemonade. I even like a sandwich and chips. But my all time favorite picnic food is potato salad. This past weekend, David and I took the kids for a picnic at our new park. I thought it would be nice to make something a little different so I came up with a recipe for baked potato salad. We also brought along the new Snapple Half and Half (half lemonade, half tea) for a refreshing drink.
This was really easy to make, and it tastes fantastic. Here is the recipe:
4 – 5 large red potatoes (if you use a different type adjust for size)
1/2 cup sour cream (low fat would totally work)
1 cup of shredded cheese (use your favorite, I did cheddar, and again, low fat would work)
2 strips of bacon
2 scallions chopped
1. Cube the potatoes into bite size (or a little bigger) pieces, and place in a pot with water to boil. Cook until tender, being careful not to overcook. You do not want them mushy. Drain when finished, and place in a bowl to cool.
2. Cook the bacon until it is crispy and then chop into small pieces. (I saved leftover bacon from breakfast.) Add to potatoes.
3. Add in the sour cream, cheese, and scallions.
4. Mix well to coat the potatoes.
5. Serve immediately or cover and chill in the refrigerator for later.
This goes great with anything that you would normally serve potato salad with, and is perfect to take to a fourth of July picnic.
I also really enjoyed the Snapple Half and Half. Normally I’m not crazy about lemon in my tea, but this was different. The balance makes it taste great. I also like that you can buy it in a six pack. All you have to do is add ice.
I think this is a great choice to bring along for all for of your summer fun, the boat, the beach, road trips… You name it. Between now and September 30th, you can get a dollar off Snapple products from Walmart. What better time to try it for yourself? While downloading the coupon, you can check out the “Snapple On-The-Go” photo contest that is coming soon.
What is your favorite picnic food? Do you have any fun plans for the summer?
You can find more great ideas for summer by checking out the new digital magazine from Collective Bias and the Social Fabric community: